Encouraging you to
NEW HOURS IN EFFECT
FRIDAYS AND SATURDAYS ONLY: 9 AM TO 4 PM
Please remember that the following two actions will make recycling better for everyone during Covid-19:
1. Pre-sorting: this drastically reduces the amount of time needed to recycle.
2. Stock pile your recycling. Yes, this is one area that you are being asked to stockpile (just a little). If you normally make 4 trips/month to the depot, try coming in only once or twice. This will reduce vehicle traffic and take some of the strain off our reduced capacity.
Please DO NOT come to the depot if:
· you have been travelling in the last fourteen days
· have any symptoms of Covid-19 including fever, shortness of breath, or a cough
· If you are vulnerable to Covid-19 due to age or an underlying health condition (if this is the case, please hang on to your recycling until Covid passes so that you can remain safe)
NOTE - There will be no handling of recyclables by any of the staff.
Respect social distancing of 2 m between yourself and depot staff members.
ATTENTION CUSTOMERS WITH MOBILITY ISSUES
Our heartfelt apologies to those with mobility issues, we are unable to assist you with your recycling at this time. If you cannot deposit your recycling into the collection containers yourself, we ask that you keep it at home for the time being.
We suggest that you clean your recycling well, place it in large garbage bags, and store it in a secure outdoor location on your property until we can resume our normal operation.
This is for your own safety as well as for the safety of the staff.
GUIDELINES FOR RECYCLING AT THE PENDER ISLAND RECYCLING DEPOT DURING COVID-19
1. Try to store your recycling at home for longer than you usually do so that you can reduce the number of trips to the depot.
2. Pre-sort your recyclables at home into the following categories:
glass packaging; steel and aluminum; paper and cardboard; crinkly plastic; soft plastic bags; plastic containers; styrofoam; milk/soup cartons/coffee cups; and refundables.
We are still accepting paint, batteries, light bulbs, small and large appliances, and non-packaging plastic. Please phone ahead if you have large quantities of any item to check whether we are able to accept them (it depends on how busy it is at the depot).
3. Only two cars may recycle at a time, the staff will direct you when it is your turn.
4. We advise that you wear disposable gloves while recycling at the depot.
5. DO NOT handle any recycling other than your own while at the depot (e.g., do not pick up material dropped by another recycler or pull out incorrectly sorted material from the bags).
6. All collection containers have been moved out of doors. Recycling can be placed directly into the large bags on the pallets. Staff will show you where the recyclables go. The collection bags are labelled. (Thank you Peter Hodgson of Island Graphics Ltd for providing the labels!).
You can keep your membership up to date by renewing on-line through this website. Select the red "PIRS Membership" button at the top of this page.
Please check this website, our Facebook page or our voicemail regularly for updates.
Thank you for your patience. We hope that by opening on Fridays we can reduce your delays. We value your time and your dedication to recycling.
Depot staff and PIRS Board of Directors
Recycling Depot Hours
October through May
Tues, Thurs, Sat: 10 am - 3 pm
June through September
Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat: 10 am - 3 pm
Click on the links below for the full story
Food waste explained by music superstar Ed Sheeran (above)
For detailed information about the items that CAN BE RECYCLED at the Pender Island Recycling Depot and how to prepare them for drop off, please click on a category headings below (in alphabetical order).
Since 1989, PIRS has diverted over eight MILLION pounds of recyclables from landfills.
Thank you Pender Islands residents.
8 million lbs!
Sort recyclables at home first.
Save yourself a ton of time by sorting your recyclables at home before bringing them to the Recycling Depot.