What can you REcycle at the Pender Depot?
THURSDAYS, FRIDAYS AND SATURDAYS: 9 AM TO 4 PM
Please DO NOT come to the depot if: you have been out of the country in the last fourteen days or if you have any symptoms of Covid-19 including fever, shortness of breath, or a cough.
PLEASE PRE-SORT YOUR RECYCLABLES (More information below)
Respect social distancing of 2 m between yourself and depot staff members.
ATTENTION CUSTOMERS WITH MOBILITY ISSUES
We now have a drop spot where you can leave your recyclables. If you can not navigate the depot we will bring a large collection bag to your car. If possible, please have your recycling pre-sorted into individual paper or plastic bags to make it easier for us to process your recyclables.
NOTE - There will be no handling of recyclables by any of the staff.
GUIDELINES FOR RECYCLING AT THE PENDER ISLAND RECYCLING DEPOT DURING COVID-19
1. Try to store your recycling at home for longer than you usually do so that you can reduce the number of trips to the depot. This will reduce traffic and take some of the strain off our reduced capacity.
2. Pre-sort your recyclables at home into the following categories:
glass packaging; steel and aluminum; paper and cardboard; crinkly plastic; soft plastic bags; plastic containers; styrofoam; milk/soup cartons/coffee cups; and refundables.
We are still accepting all the items that we normally do, including: paint, batteries, light bulbs, small and large appliances, and non-packaging plastic. Please phone ahead if you have large quantities of any item to check whether we are able to accept them (it depends on how busy it is at the depot).
3. Only five households may recycle at a time, the staff will direct you when it is your turn.
4. We advise that you wear disposable gloves while recycling at the depot.
5. DO NOT handle any recycling other than your own while at the depot (e.g., do not pick up material dropped by another recycler or pull out incorrectly sorted material from the bags).
6. All collection containers have been moved out of doors. Recycling can be placed directly into the large bags on the pallets. Staff will show you where the recyclables go. The collection bags are labelled. (Thank you Peter Hodgson of Island Graphics Ltd for providing the labels!).
The FreeStore and ReShop are open again. There are several new rules in place to keep shoppers safe while visiting these stores: park in the scrap metal area, wear a mask while in the store, sanitize your hands upon entry, maintain a distance of 6' from the other shoppers, and follow the arrows on the floor to avoid crossing paths with others. Please ask staff before dropping off any items for donation. They must be quarantined before we can put them in the store.
You can keep your membership up to date by renewing on-line through this website. Select the red "PIRS Membership" button at the top of this page.
Please check this website, our Facebook page or our voicemail regularly for updates.
Thank you for your patience! We value your time and your dedication to recycling.
Depot staff and PIRS Board of Directors
Encouraging you to
Recycling Depot Hours
October through May
Thurs, Fri, Sat: 10 am - 3 pm
June through September
Thurs, Fri, Sat: 9 am - 4 pm
Click on the links below for the full story
Food waste explained by music superstar Ed Sheeran (above)
For detailed information about the items that CAN BE RECYCLED at the Pender Island Recycling Depot and how to prepare them for drop off, please click on a category headings below (in alphabetical order).
Since 1989, PIRS has diverted over eight MILLION pounds of recyclables from landfills.
Thank you Pender Islands residents.
8 million lbs!
Sort recyclables at home first.
Save yourself a ton of time by sorting your recyclables at home before bringing them to the Recycling Depot.